Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 30 - Fall Seven Times

Mood: Ashamed

Today is Thursday, June 30, 2011. When writing a health blog, no news is usually bad news. I haven't updated on my activity in 1 week. I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks. Out of a possible 9 bootcamp sessions, I've only been to 3. I haven't stuck strictly to my nutrition plan in I don't know how many days, but I definitely feel the difference.

That is not to say that I've been binging on junk food & lazing around every day. I've caved to a few temptations (garlic fries, pizza, chips, chocolate, vodka) but in very small portions. I've also been skimping on sleep, which I now realize has contributed to me not getting to more bootcamp sessions.

I have less than 2 weeks left of bootcamp, and honestly, I can't wait for it to be over. I mean, I'm glad I signed up in the first place, but I realized that aside from the great workout, it's just not that fun. The instructors seem like they're just going through the motions. I realize it's their job to instruct us and we as individuals have to put in the work, push ourselves, challenge our bodies, & summon the mental stamina to get through each session, but frankly I'm just not at a level of confidence or strength to do those things on my own yet. Part of me feels that more of a one-on-one training arrangement might be more effective, but personal trainers are so expensive. Another part of me wants to find something a little more upbeat/uplifting than exhausting. I want exercise not only to make my body work, but to be fun & energizing. That's what will keep me going back, instead of feeling like it's a chore.

My boyfriend recommended Zumba dance classes. I've done a few here & there, and loved it each time but the classes conflicted with my schedule. I found out my gym now offers a couple of classes at times that I can attend, so after the bootcamp thing ends, I'm making it my next assignment to give Zumba another try. I'll still have to incorporate strength training at least twice a week so I can continue to build muscle, and possibly add some light morning cardio in the mornings to keep up my routine of waking up early (I like having extra time to get things done in the morning, whereas before I started bootcamp I would roll out of bed, rush to get dressed, and still be half-asleep when I got to work).

As for nutrition, I'm again stocked up on healthy foods & snacks. My boyfriend has been making healthy dinners, and I'm thinking of experimenting with a few new healthy recipes, so the only routine I have to get back into is packing a healthy lunch. I know I can get back to succeeding in this area because I've learned the basics of portion control & making sure I don't go too long in between meals & snacks.

Even though I've muddled up the structure of my exercise & diet, I know I can get back on track. One or two weeks of laziness is not going to end this journey. I may have taken a few wrong turns, but now I'm going back to where I started & trying to find my way again. And if there's one thing I learned this week, it's that there's no shame in failing unless you let failure keep you down.

In fact, I keep a quote about this very situation posted on my cubicle at work. It's a Japanese Proverb that says "Fall seven times, stand up eight!"

This is me standing up again & taking whatever comes my way. If I fall again, so be it. But I'll never stay down or give up.




Thanks for reading and for continuing to support me on this long & winding road. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment