Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 15 - Just Saying No

Mood: Uncertain

Today is Wednesday, June 15, 2011. This time last week I was celebrating a 5-lb weight loss. Today, I had planned to celebrate a similar victory. The only problem: I haven't weighed myself yet. My boot camp instructor plans to check my stats on Friday, so that's when you'll find out too! Until then, here's a recap of the past few days.

I'm losing steam on the nutrition side of things. I'm getting lazy with my eating choices. I'm cheating more often than I should. On Monday, it was a bag of my favorite chips (Hot Cheetos!). Yesterday, it was a piece of chocolate at work AND a cake lollipop after dinner. Today, a delectable homemade brownie from my boss. On a somewhat positive note, even with all the cheating, I've managed to stay within (or extremely close) to my calorie goals.

Yesterday, I was boasting to the boyfriendguy how good it feels to have rid myself of a lot of the guilt I had when I was eating less healthy. Taking the cheating into consideration, even a little guilt has damaged my self-confidence.

One thing I've got to learn if I want to meet my goals: How To Say No.

This has always been hard for me. I'm used to instant gratification. As an adult, it's hard to justify not doing something or having something that's perfectly within reach. But I'm my own parent now. As such, I need to start learning how to gently deny myself certain things that might taste good but certainly won't treat my body well.

I'm sure that once I start learning how to say no to myself in a more motivational way, I'll have less trouble with this. Here are some things I'm going to try in order to achieve this habit:

  • "Which is better: Having a tasty treat or having nothing to regret?"
  • "What else can I eat instead of the tasty treat that will fill my craving?"
  • "Wait 10 minutes. Drink some water. Re-evaluate craving."
  • "Can the treat be saved for another day when I might *really* need it?"
  • "How can I avoid seeing/smelling this treat so that I'm not constantly tempted by it?"

If you have any ideas or resources on how to control temptations, cravings, or minimizing "cheater's remorse", please share!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment