Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 20 - Healthy Linking

Mood: Tired


Today is Monday, June 20, 2011. After a late night of great company around a fire pit in my backyard, I decided to skip boot camp this morning & get the extra 2 hours of sleep that my body needed. Surprisingly, I didn't feel very guilty about it. I still want to burn some calories today though, so I plan to walk for 30 minutes on my lunch break, and then do some light strength training when I get home tonight. Problem solved!


Moving on...


You may or may not know, I'm kind of addicted to the internet. Even though this could very well be one of the factors contributing to my unhealthy habits (being sedentary), I still think the internet is a great resource for those looking to live healthier & increase their knowledge of how to do so.


Sometimes the information available online can be overwhelming. I've subscribed & unsubscribed to countless sites for recipes, health tips, etc. and I'm continually amazed at the contradictions some of them make on a regular basis.


But realizing that most information, when paired with a doctor's advice & good old-fashioned common sense, can be useful to keep in mind when overhauling your nutrition or exercise habits, I've decided to share a few of my favorite web resources & some examples of their motivational & informational value:




www.webmd.com
This site often gives good scientific backup & many of the articles are based from recent clinical study findings, which I personally tend to find more convincing than what one or two doctors theorize about the human body. As with many sites I'm going to list, many of their articles focus on psychology in relation to physiology and our mind's vital (yet often forgotten) role in our physical health.









www.livestrong.com
Probably one of the best sites out there for those seeking to get healthy, be fit, and be inspired. My favorite aspects of the site include: 
  • MyPlate: a super easy, convenient, and FREE meal tracking tool which helps count nutritional contents of popular foods so that you can make sure you're meeting your recommended daily goals.
  • Weekly email newsletter filled with fitness-focused articles, general health & wellness tips, & the occasional healthy recipe.
  • Inspirational stories from real people that have changed their lives with dedication & healthy decision-making. 
The site also lets you join various groups so that you have access to a community of support & encouragement right at your fingertips.










www.womenshealthmag.com & www.menshealthmag.com
No, I'm not a hermaphrodite, but I subscribe to both the women's & men's health e-magazine because I believe that good health is not just an individual success, it's a collective effort. I think it's important when establishing your own healthy habits to have some knowledge of how the people around you are treating their bodies. I don't advocate pushing your "health religion" onto other people, but the knowledge does come in handy when presented with questions from people who want to better understand your journey. Also, it's simply not a bad idea to use the information to evaluate which of your friends/family are contributing to your unhealthy habits so that you can minimize the effects on your changing mindset. These websites also offer workout ideas (for all levels), tips on nutrition & stress-busting, as well as a wealth of information you never knew about foods you encounter every day.












eatthis.menshealth.com & eatthis.womenshealth.com
Both men's & women's health mag also also have their own sub-site called "Eat This, Not That" which lists the good, bad, & ugly foods out there tempting us daily. My favorite thing is that it not only points out the bad, but gives "good" alternatives! They share some terrific recipes too!










I hope these come in handy for you as they have for me. I'll probably post many more links in the future, and if you have any to share, please send them to bizzmiss@gmail.com :)


Thanks for reading, and have a great week! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment